To Hang Boots
In Cricket, the decision to hang one’s boots is even more difficult to play 180 overs in 4th innings of Galle pitch, to survive and draw the match. Whether it is IV Richards, Border, or Waugh the only rule is performance on the field. Sports are not films where Amitabh can make a comeback after ten years. Once boots hanged, it is done forever, the whites are gone forever.
My first memory of SR Tendulkar playing is watching the Perth ODI in December 1991 where he famously took the last WI in his first over to tie the match at 126. Since then, it was always awe. To count the milestones is left for the experts; the fact is that it is time for him to let Indian cricket move.
Let us have a look at the how the modern greats scored in their last TEN matches before they decided to call it a day.
From these statistics of last 10 test matches of modern greats:
- IV Richards and Tendulkar are the only players who did not score a single 100
- Waugh’s average is boosted by not-outs and he had four test matches against ZIM/BD
- Lara’s last series was in PAK and he was exceptional
- Gavaskar’s last innings was a masterpiece
- Only Lara and Dravid scored three 100s (ignoring Waugh’s because his run was against BD/ZIM)
- Tendulkar’s average is the lowest
Considering all these, I guess this is the time that India play Australia in Feb-March without SRT so that the core prepares for harder assignments that begin late next year. Time for Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar to call it a day. For my tributes to this legend, I need far more space and hence next post!